Written by: Kassi Ellison
“You don’t build a business. You build people and then people build the business.” – Zig Ziglar.
An organization grows as swiftly as its sales team does, which makes knowing exactly why, when, and how to scale your sales team so crucial. It’s only a matter of time before your team reaches its utmost potential. So, do you push your salespeople beyond their limits and exhaust them, or do you strategically bring in more motivated professionals who add value to your team and help you accelerate your sales efforts? And how can you determine when it’s the right time to scale your sales team as a provider? How do you strike a balance within your existing team and seamlessly onboard new sales professionals? Expanding a sales team is crucial for boosting growth and revenue, but it can be a challenging task. That is why having an expert like CHAP Growth Solutions on your side is an ideal approach to scaling your team that accelerates your organization’s referrals.
Key Indicators for Scaling Time Success
Scaling the sales team drives growth and revenue by increasing market share, branding, and name recognition. To determine when to scale, it’s important to keep an eye on the following key indicators:
- Insufficient coverage of accounts in the market
- Stagnant growth and decreasing volume
- Specialized market needs requiring additional sales focus
- Gaps in forecasting and budgeting for year-over-year growth
As a growing provider, expanding your sales team is one of the most important steps you can take to increase growth and revenue. However, the task of expanding your team can be quite challenging. It requires thorough planning, careful consideration, and a deep understanding of your business’s needs and goals. But with the right strategies and approach, you can successfully build a strong and effective sales team that will help drive your organization forward.
Determining the Optimal Size and Structure of Your Team
- Conduct a market competitive analysis: Understand referring accounts, organizational sales spend, and available resources to gauge the necessary team size.
- Consider manager bandwidth and available resources: Ensure you have enough managerial support and resources for effective onboarding and training of new team members.
- Assess if the organization is staffed for growth: Evaluate if the existing team has the capacity to handle growth or if additional hires are required.
- Vet territories and hire to meet organizational goals: Analyze territories and align hiring needs with the goals and objectives of your organization.
Keeping the Existing Sales Team Motivated and Engaged with Goals
- Maintain open communication and involve the team in growth plans: Ensure your team understands and supports the growth strategy and actively involve them in decision-making processes.
- Highlight advancement opportunities within the team: Demonstrate growth opportunities within the organization to retain top performers and keep them motivated.
- Assure existing team members that their accounts will not be taken away: Address any concerns about account reassignments to ensure the existing team feels valued and secure. Sales Territory Mapping is the path to the team’s success.
- Provide ongoing sales training and support: Continuous training and support programs will help your existing team adapt and grow alongside the expanding organization. Consultative Sales Training can empower your team and accelerate your sales. October 2023 Healthcare Sales Certification in Arlington, VA is also a great example of such training.
Refining Sales Processes and Workflows
- Provide structure, oversight, and coaching, and create a cadence of accountability
- Establish standardized processes for sales calls and activities
- Utilize a CRM system for effective account assignments and visibility
- Ensure a smooth referral-to-admission process
Metrics and KPIs for Monitoring Scaling Success
- Number of accounts per salesperson for optimal territory management
- Productivity per salesperson based on territory characteristics and conversion rates
- Account coverage to ensure all accounts are called on within a specified timeframe
- Sales spending as a percentage of revenue compared to goals
Prevailing over Challenges in way of Scaling Teams
- Determining the right number of sales professionals within budget constraints
- Defining expectations and timeframes for ramping up performance
- Assigning an appropriate number of accounts to each salesperson
- Identifying new markets and territories for expansion
Knowing the “Why, When, and How” of scaling your sales team is only the first step toward success. It’s the implementation that can be a puzzle, requiring a delicate balance between expansion and efficiency. You don’t want to hold back, but you also don’t want to overdo it. This is where CHAP Growth Solutions comes in with its wealth of experience, specialized approach, and incredible tools and techniques. With CHAP by your side, you can find that balance and lead with a foolproof plan, ensuring a smooth and effective scaling process.
Why Do You Need CHAP Growth Solutions on Your Sales Team?
- Specialized Approach: CHAP offers a tailored approach to scaling sales teams, combining market opportunities with organizational goals.
- Data-Led Strategy: Leveraging claims data, Medicare data, and analytics to drive the scaling process, CHAP ensures a scaling process driven by data insights.
- Customized Services: CHAP customizes its services to align with each client’s unique needs and objectives, resulting in a personalized growth strategy.
- Expertise and Hands-on Experience: With a team of experienced professionals, CHAP brings practical insights and guidance to clients based on hands-on experience in scaling teams across the United States.
- Guidance and Support in Decision-Making: CHAP assists clients in navigating the challenges and risks associated with scaling, providing valuable guidance and support in decision-making.
- Technological Prowess: Using technology tools, data analytics, and automation, CHAP empowers clients to optimize the scaling process, ensuring efficiency and maximum impact.
Getting the most out of your team in the short term is crucial, but efficiently scaling your team is the only way to ensure long-term success. Scaling a team cannot be accomplished overnight; it requires a continuous, deliberate, and well-planned process. Let CHAP Growth Solutions guide and support you throughout this journey.
Recruiting and retaining top sales talent is another crucial aspect of scaling a sales team, and CHAP can provide valuable assistance in this area as well. If your agency serves home health, hospice, or home care, connect with us now to learn more about our comprehensive growth solutions, tailored to meet the unique needs of each organization.
Grow your vision, expand your team, and accelerate your referrals by partnering with CHAP Growth Solutions.